Termite Mounds, 2012
Found out yesterday I've been awarded 2 x 1st prizes at the Sydney Royal Easter Show for my ceramics.
This is very exciting, especially since this year the Royal Easter Show is featuring ceramics at the CLAY ON DISPLAY stand!
Want to come and check out the Arts and Crafts Pavilion?
Go to Hall 3, Sydney Olympic Park. For more details check out www.sydneyroyal.com.au/arts
On TUESDAY 26th March at the CLAY ON DISPLAY stand - some Central Coast Potters Society members will be showing off their creativity with clay. Pop in and say hello.
TERMITE MOUNDS, 2012 (image above) - 1st in Atmospheric
FAT QUARTERS, 2012 (image below) - 1st prize Non Functional
Thanks to Steve Cummings for his beautiful photographs. Contact Steve at www.lightplay.com.au
Fat Quarters, 2012
See my previous two posts for more info on Termite Mounds and Fat Quarters and please Like my facebook pages to keep up to date with other news.
In the home fire!
Well, I didn't get around to the re-firing on Thursday but managed it on Friday. I packed two small boxes with rolled newspaper, sawdust, salted banksia pods, Jacaranda pods and other seed pods (can't remember the plant's name), old rusty nails and rusted flakes from the steel shelf inside the fire and oyster shells, and filled the home fire as tightly as possible with additional rolled newspaper on the bottom and some eucalyptus leaves and twigs around the boxes.
Eventually I got it burning and it went REALLY well. I lit it around 12noon and took the pots out around midnight. I managed to get some great colour. In particular, a wonderful green which I think came from the brass bell filings. It was a worthwhile exercise and one I will do again, expecially in Spring when it's raining and cool - saves having an open fire that requires supervision outside.
Have a look at the results below. The last pot has been fired 3 times. I'm now happy with the outcome.
Another paper box firing
Some friends & I managed a paper box firing on Saturday 19 November. We were very lucky with the weather - no total fire ban. For safety we did the firing at the Central Coast Potters' Society. We placed the boxes inside the pit kiln and covered it overnight.
There was some success but not as much colour or intense black as last time. It's all a learning process & I was happy just to be doing it. We experimented a little with different materials in different boxes - we fired 7 boxes in total. Some of the materials included orange peel, seaweed, salt, powder from a ground-back brass bell, salt soaked string and banksia pods, local oyster shells, eucalyptus sticks & leaves, sea grass, sawdust, banana peel and cobalt.
There were some unremarkable results with a few exceptions - see photos below. The cobalt solution had little effect unfortunately. The one pot I dabbed it on showed a slight tinge of blue.
The seaweed gave some light browns but nothing dramatic. Some of my pots took on colour from the brass powder which was great.
Tip for next time - stack the boxes in a smaller space to increase the heat and burning time and allowing more burning time before covering.
Today I'm going to re-fire some of the pots in a box inside the enclosed fire that heats the house. The weather is still cold and rainy, so it'll be good to get a bit of warmth into the house, as well as do a firing. Hopefully the results will be more interesting.
Kylie Rose McLean
I love creating, turning my ideas into reality, being challenged, and immersed in realising an idea. In these moments I am absorbed, inspired and wrapped in my own world. It's wonderful!